New low cost care and companionship service launched across the UK
Great Minders is the brainchild of the directors behind one of the UK’s most successful childcare agencies Like Minders. Great Minders connects people with local carers for general support and companionship across the UK. It comes at a time when Government cuts have all but halted free care for low or non-medial people, and therefore offers a low-cost solution for older people who require companionship and help around the home.
With over a million people aged 65 and above considering themselves lonely, this new service can help assuage this suffering.
Commenting on the launch Director Bryony Sullivan said: “We believe that there is no black and white solution to caring for older people and there seems to be this void between those who are self-sufficient, to those needing full-time medical support. Those who just need help around the home or simply companionship, tend to be the ones who are neglected.
“We want to bridge the gap and so our services are aimed at people who need a little extra help, whether that is personal care, driving to appointments, help around the house or garden or just someone to chat to or have a cup of tea with.
“Through our market research we found that one of the biggest problems older people face in our society is loneliness. We hope that by putting people in touch with local companions we hope they can build up friendships and local contacts.”
Great Minders is an online platform, which can be used by care seekers themselves or individual family members/representatives. It is a simple three step process:
• Search for local carers by entering your postcode
• Find a list of local registered carers and companions, which have been fully vetted and checked by Great Minders.
• Meet and connect with carers through the secure online messaging system
• It is free to register for both carers and care-seekers
• It is free for care seekers to search for carers and view their profiles
• Care seekers pay £29 for 30 days access to be able to contact the carers directly.
Ensuring a safe service
All Great Minders’ carers and companions:
• Are over the age of 21
• Have provided Great Minders with photo ID and a recent proof of address
• Have filled out the Great Minders registration form outlining personal details and experience
• Have been interviewed by Great Minders
• Have been reference checked by Great Minders
• Have provided Great Minders with copies of DBS checks and First Aid where relevant
Minders charge between £7-£12 an hour depending on level of experience and services required.
For further details please contact Great Minders on 0208 780 9146 www.greatminders.com